Lorimer Park sign
Trail in autumn
ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING FISHING at LORIMER PARK (updated 4-9-2020)
The main park, picnic area, restrooms and the Moredon Road parking lot are closed. This includes the section of creek running through that area. HOWEVER, anglers may fish downstream of Moredon Road, and from the Scout Camp upstream to Old Huntingdon Pike. These areas have been stocked. To get to these areas, anglers may park along Pine Road (also stocked) and walk upstream, or the Welsh Road trail lot and walk downstream.
This 230 acre oasis of woods and meadows, in the suburbs of eastern Abington Township, attracts visitors to its natural beauty year-round. A bequest from the late George Horace Lorimer, former Editor-in-Chief of The Saturday Evening Post, Lorimer Park is a haven for wildlife under a canopy of huge trees. Activities include hiking, picnicking, bird and animal watching, horseback riding (with your own horse), and, in the winter, sledding and cross-country skiing.
For the angler, Pennypack Creek is stocked with trout by the PA Fish & Boat Commission. Overlooking the creek is majestic Council Rock where, legend says, Native Americans used to meet to plan their activities. It now serves as a beautiful and popular backdrop for wedding photographs.Adjacent to the facility, 5.4 miles of the former Fox Chase-Newtown rail line has been converted to a recreational trail. This crushed stone path provides level hiking and biking and views of the Pennypack Creek. The trail now stretches from Rockledge Borough in the south to Byberry Road near Mason’s Mill Park in the north. Parking is available along Robbins Ave. next to Rockledge Borough Park, the Lorimer Park lot on Moredon Road, and the trail lots at 800 Welsh Road (Rt. 63) in Bethayres, and 1750 Byberry Road next to the Mason’s Mill Business Park.
Open daily, 7:00am to sunset.
We offer hiking, bicycling, equestrian trails, picnicking, and fishing.
Who was George H. Lorimer?
Lorimer Park brochure
Activities & Opportunities