Prescription Drug Disposal Program
“RETURN OF THE MEDI” IS THEME FOR MONTGOMERY COUNTY’S
DRUG TAKE BACK DAY ON APRIL 24, 10AM to 2PM
Police across Montgomery County are ready to collect all unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medications as part of Drug Take Back Day, organized by the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office and the Police Chiefs Association of Montgomery County. The event at participating police departments across the county and five grocery stores runs 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, April 24, 2021.
Take Back Day in Montgomery County—which coincides with the DEA’s nationwide Take Back Day—is a chance for residents to clean out their medicine cabinets of unwanted, unused and expired prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications and dispose of them easily in a safe, environmentally friendly way.
“A key way to make your home safer is to get rid of unwanted medications,” says District Attorney Kevin Steele. “But we don’t want residents to flush the meds or put them out in the trash—both are unsafe ways to dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medications. Just drop them off at police departments across Montgomery County—typically, most participate—and police officers and Montgomery County detectives will make sure that they are properly disposed of in an environmentally safe way.”
Accepted during Drug Take Back Day (and throughout the year at permanent MedReturn boxes) are prescription and over-the-counter tablets and capsules, inhalers, creams, ointments, nasal sprays, pet medicines and vaping products. Not accepted are needles and intravenous/injectable solutions.
Participating sites for this upcoming Take Back Day include police departments and five grocery stores, although more locations are expected to be added between now and Take Back Day. The current list of locations includes:
- Abington Township Police Department, 1166 Old York Rd., Abington, PA 19001
- Ambler Township Police Department, 131 Rosemary Ave., Ambler, PA 19002
- Bridgeport Borough Police Department, 65 W. 4th St., Bridgeport, PA
- Collegeville Police Department at the Municipal Building, 491 E. Main St., Collegeville, PA 19426
- Cheltenham Police Department, 8230 Old York Road, Elkins Park, PA 19027
- Douglass Township Police Department, 1320 East Philadelphia Ave., Gilbertsville, PA 19525
- Franconia Township Police at Franconia Elementary School, 366 Harleysville Pike, Souderton, PA 18964
- Giant Food Store (Horsham Township Police), 314 Horsham Road, Horsham, PA 19044
- Giant Food Store (Upper Moreland Police), 314 N. York Rd., both in Willow Grove, PA 19090
- Hatboro Police Department, 120 E. Montgomery Ave., Hatboro, PA 19040
- Hatfield Township Police at the Administration Building, 1950 School Rd., Hatfield, PA 19440
- Lansdale Police Department, 1 Vine St., Lansdale, PA 19446
- Limerick Township Police Department, 646 W. Ridge Pike, Limerick, PA 19468
- Lower Gwynedd Township Police Department, 1130 N. Bethlehem Pike, Spring House, PA 19477
- Lower Providence Township Police Department, 100 Parklane Dr., Eagleville, PA 19403
- Marlborough Township Police Department, 6040 Upper Ridge Rd., Green Lane, PA 18054
- Norristown Police Department, 235 E. Airy St., Norristown, PA 19401
- North Wales Borough Police at Borough Hall, 300 School St., North Wales, PA 19454
- Plymouth Township Police Department, 700 Belvoir Rd., Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
- Pottstown Police Department, 100 E. High St., Pottstown, PA 19464
- Royersford Borough Police Department, 300 Main Street, Royersford PA
- Springfield Township Police Department, 1510 Paper Mill Rd., Wyndmoor, PA 19038
- Upper Dublin Township Police Department, 801 Loch Alsh Ave., Fort Washington, PA 19034
- Upper Merion Township Police Department, 175 W. Valley Forge Rd., King of Prussia, PA 19406
- Upper Moreland Township Police Department, 117 Park Ave.
- Upper Perk Police Department, 88 W. 6th St., Pennsburg, PA 18073
- Upper Pottsgrove Township Police Department, 1420 Heather Place, Pottstown, PA
- West Norriton Township Police Department, 1630 W. Marshall St., Norristown, PA 19403
- West Pottsgrove Township Police Department, 980 Grosstown Rd., Stowe, PA 19464
- Whitemarsh Township Police Department, 616 E. Germantown Pike, Lafayette Hills, PA 19444
- Whitpain Township Police Department, 960 Wentz Rd., Blue Bell, PA 19422
- Wegmans (Montgomery Township Police), 500 Montgomery Mall, North Wales, PA
- Wegmans (Upper Merion Police), 1 Village Drive, King of Prussia, PA
The last Drug Take Back Day in October 2020, themed “Mask Up & Drop Off,” yielded a record 10,279 pounds of prescriptions and OTC medications, which set a new record for most collected. Since the Drug Take Back program began in 2010, more than 85,000 pounds of medicines have been collected and safely disposed of.
If residents can’t make it to Drug Take Back Day on April 24, unwanted medications can be dropped off and disposed of throughout the year at more than 50 permanent prescription drug disposal boxes, most of which are located at police departments. Some of these boxes were sponsored by the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association and some by Pennsylvania American Water in an effort to help keep our water supply safe.