Volunteer in the County
The Montgomery County Division of Parks, Trails and Historic Sites welcomes individuals and groups to share their interests and talents at all of our parks, trails, and historic sites by volunteering. Projects can be short- or long-term and in most cases, we can be flexible with the hours and frequency of when you help. Volunteer projects on the countywide trail system can include invasive plant removal, new native plantings, and cleanup along the trails, particularly after storms. Projects are available for groups or individuals.
The following are just a few of the types of things that people can help with, but if you have an idea, interest, or talent in something not listed, call one of the sites to discuss your idea.
Types of Projects
- Education projects consist of presenting guided tours, historic crafts, and trades demonstrations; helping with school / adult groups; developing historic and environmental education programs; assisting with special events; and conducting guided walks. Training may be provided as needed.
- Special skills projects include developing hands-on displays, sewing period clothing, organizing musical programming, marketing development, grant writing and fundraising, and photography at events. There are good projects for mechanical, construction, masonry, and skilled trades.
- Maintenance / landscaping projects consist of planting / pruning trees, flowers, and shrubs; weeding and gardening; painting and light maintenance work; creating or clearing hiking trails; improving wildlife habitats; cleaning and stabilizing stream beds; removing invasive plant material; and maintaining period gardens at the historic sites.
- Research projects include the research and documentation of the site histories and items in historic collections, cataloging collections, developing surveys of flora and fauna, assisting with geological studies, and field mapping.
- General help projects are cutting, folding, filing, answering the phone, providing general information and directions, packaging, display work, and organization of museum shops, providing food for volunteers, and directing parking at events.
- Internship projects consist of a variety of internship opportunities and are available at our individual sites.