COVID-19 Rent Relief Program (CARES Act)
Please be aware that the authority to accept and process rental assistance requests pursuant to Act 24 of 2020 will expire on September 30, 2020. At that time, PHFA and its agents will lack the authority to accept new applications. Please check back on the PHFA website regularly to see if applications for assistance are reopened. PHFA will also send media notices if reauthorization occurs, so also watch media. If you submit an application electronically or via the United States postal service with a post date of September 30, 2020 or earlier, we will continue to process your application.
Note: Your Way Home is still accepting applications through its Emergency Rent & Utility Coalition (ERUC) program to assist with rental arrearages and/or utility arrearages for households impacted by COVID-19. For more information about this program, please contact Your Way Home by dialing 2-1-1 or texting your zip code to 898-211.
This program is being administered by the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services with funding provided by the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) through the federal CARES Act.
The Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, passed in March, provided $3.9 billion for Pennsylvania, and is intended to help people hurt economically during the pandemic. In late May, the General Assembly directed $175 million of these CARES dollars to PHFA to provide assistance for struggling renters and homeowners. The portion for rent assistance is at least $150 million.
Below you will find the application forms needed to request COVID-19 Rent Relief Program assistance. Links are also provided to additional helpful information.
Montgomery County will begin accepting completed applications for rent assistance on July 6, 2020.
Applications will be accepted through September 30, 2020.The PHFA CARES act funding for renters must be completely distributed by November 30, 2020.
This checklist is a helpful aid to ensure you don’t forget key items when you submit your application packet to your local county organization. If you overlook important documents you need to submit, it will delay your application processing and any possible rental assistance. For your own benefit, please take your time and make sure your application packet is complete. Check off items as you complete them.
- Applicants must be Montgomery County residents (renters in other counties must apply to their county’s designated organization).
- Renters must have lost more than 30% of their income due to reduced work hours/wages after March 1st because of COVID-19, or have become unemployed after March 1st due to COVID-19.
- Renters who applied for PA unemployment assistance must have done so after March 1st.
- Renters’ income before March 1st must be no more than 100% of the area median income, or $96,600 for a family of four (see table below).
- COVID-19 RRP funds may only be used to cover rent incurred between March 1, 2020 and December 30, 2020. The maximum amount of monthly assistance is $750.
Steps to Apply
- There are 3 application forms provided below. Print all 3 forms. The application process requires both renter and landlord involvement.
- Fill out completely all 3 application forms. The landlord must complete the landlord application form and the landlord-property certification.
- On or after July 6, 2020 submit all 3 forms and supporting documents as a single application submission to the Montgomery County COVID-19 Rent Relief Program.
Application Submission Instructions
NO LONGER ACCEPTING PHFA CARES RENT RELIEF APPLICATIONS.
Please contact (610) 278-3929 to speak to a Navicate in the Office of Community Connections.
Additional CARES RRP Resources
PHFA’s call center is also available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to assist the public and help with questions about the CARES Rent Relief Program. The toll-free number is 1-855-U-Are-Home (827-3466). Callers should listen for the prompt mentioning CARES assistance for renters.