What is transgender?
Transgender is a term used by people whose gender identity is different than the sex they were assigned at birth; it is the ‘T’ in LGBTQ+. Transgender can sometimes be used as an umbrella term for a number of different gender minorities, including individuals who identify as genderqueer, gender non-binary or non-conforming, gender fluid, and gender variant.
Transgender people may choose to express their gender in a number of different ways, including using pronouns and names in line with their gender identity, presenting with clothes, hair, body language, and mannerisms that affirm their gender, or through medical interventions like puberty blocking, hormone therapy, and surgical and cosmetic procedures.
What is transgender or “trans” health?
Healthcare providers play an important role in supporting transgender people by providing gender-affirming services and supporting individuals in navigating parts of their social transition and acceptance. Transgender healthcare is not specialty healthcare. It is part of the primary, comprehensive, supportive care that is afforded to all people. Trans health can refer to the interdisciplinary (medical, social, and mental) provision of gender-affirming care, but it can also more holistically refer to providing competent, friendly, and comprehensive care to transgender people, as well as all people regardless of their gender identity and expression.
Where to Go for Care
Not every healthcare provider or health system is prepared to provide quality and affirming care to transgender people. The following resources are some of the places transgender and LGBTQ+ people go for care in Montgomery County and the surrounding area.
Montgomery County Resources
- Philadelphia FIGHT (Philadelphia)
- Mazzoni Center (Philadelphia)
- Bebashi Transition to Hope (Philadelphia)
- Planned Parenthood (Philadelphia, Media, Pottstown, Upper Darby, Warminster)
- Einstein Pride Program (Philadelphia)
- Main Line Health (Chester, Delaware)
- Gender and Sexuality Development Clinic, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
Medical Resources for Transgender People
Transgender Resources for Health and Social Care Providers
- University of California San Francisco Trans Health Guidelines (Best-practices comprehensive guidelines for primary and gender-affirming care for transgender people)
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health: Standards of Care (Best-practices comprehensive guidelines for primary and gender-affirming care for transgender people)
- National Center for Transgender Equality (Clearinghouse for health and social equity resources for transgender people)
- Trans Patients and Best Practices for Frontline Staff (Resource for frontline staff providing care to transgender people)