Southeastern Pennsylvania Regional Task Force
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Regional Task Force (SEPA-RTF) is composed of Montgomery County and five of its neighboring counties: Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Philadelphia. Berks County joined the Task Force in May 2022.
Centered around the sixth most populous US city, the region was selected by the US Department of Homeland Security for the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) program due to its vulnerability to terrorist attacks.
Formed in 1998 in response to a growing awareness of the threat of terrorism, the Task Force’s focus has broadened to include an all-hazards approach. SEPA-RTF now works to prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from all types of emergencies and disasters.
While only making up 6.7% of Pennsylvania's land area, the six-county SEPA region is home to 35.7% of the Commonwealth's population and a considerable percentage of its infrastructure. Some of Montgomery County's critical infrastructure includes:
- PJM Interconnection: regional transmission organization that coordinates the movement of wholesale electricity in 13 states and the District of Columbia
- Limerick Generating Station (LGS): nuclear power plant with the second most populated 10-mile Emergency Planning Zone in the nation. LGS creates enough carbon-free electricity to power 2 million homes.
- King of Prussia Mall: third-largest shopping mall in the United States
- Road: I-76, I-276, I-476, US 1, US 30, US 202, US 422, and numerous state highways
- Rail: 7 SEPTA Regional Rail lines, 1 Light Rail/Rapid Transit line, AMTRAK Keystone Corridor, CSX and Norfolk Southern freight lines
- Air: several small airports including Wings Field and Pottstown/Heritage Field
Counties within the SEPA-RTF collaborate to make smart resource investments to develop and sustain capabilities addressing the hazards identified in the county hazard vulnerability and risk assessments. Each county has its own unique capabilities and equipment that make the SEPA-RTF all-hazards prepared.
|Bomb Disposal Teams||2|
|County Animal Response Teams||4|
|EMS Task Forces||9|
|Incident Support Teams||3|
|Major Incident Support Teams||4|
|Mobile Command Units||17|
|Physician Response Teams||8|
|Tactical Communication Teams||6|
|Urban Search and Rescue Teams||8|
|Water Rescue Teams||53|
SEPA-RTF facilitates coordinated planning, training, and equipment acquisition among the six counties. The Task Force is overseen by an Executive Board, composed of the (6) county Emergency Management Coordinators. The Executive Board sets annual goals and makes all funding and policy decisions.
2022 Task Force Executive Board
Timothy Boyce, Executive Board Chair
Director, Delaware County Department of Emergency Services
Dominick Mireles, Executive Board Vice Chair
Director, Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management
Brian A. Gottschall
Director, Berks County Department of Emergency Services
Emergency Management/Services Director, Bucks County Department of Emergency Services
Robert J. Kagel
Chester County Administrator
Michael O. Vest
Director, Montgomery County Department of Public Safety
The Executive Board oversees and takes input from subject matter experts in five Work Groups, which are further divided into Subcommittees.
Workgroup and subcommittees meet regularly and contain representatives from each of the six counties, plus other partners in the public, non-profit, and private sectors.
The workgroup and subcommittee structure of the Task Force ensures both county-specific and regional preparedness in their assigned area of expertise.
*Regional Capabilities and Regional Statistics are based on the Task Force's original five counties (Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia). These sections have not been updated to reflect the addition of Berks County to the Task Force in May 2022.
Southeastern Pennsylvania Regional Task Force (SEPA-RTF) Structure
- Emergency Management Work Group
- Critical Infrastructure Subcommittee
- Public Information Officer (PIO) Subcommittee
- Schools Subcommittee
- Training and Exercise Subcommittee
- Emergency Response Work Group
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Subcommittee
- Firefighting Subcommittee
- HazMat Subcommittee
- Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Subcommittee
- Internet Technology and Communications Work Group
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Subcommittee
- Interoperable Communications Subcommittee
- Health and Human Services Work Group
- Functional Needs Subcommittee
- Hospitals & Coroners Subcommittee
- Mental Health Subcommittee
- Public Health Subcommittee
- Response & Recovery Subcommittee
- Public Safety Work Group
- Aviation Subcommittee
- Delaware Valley Intelligence Center (DVIC) Subcommittee
- IED/Explosives Subcommittee
- MIRT Subcommittee
- SWAT Subcommittee
- Traffic Subcommittee
Task Force Staff