How to Find Help for a Child or Youth

The primary means by which children and youth obtain mental/behavioral health services in Montgomery County is through Medical Assistance (MA). MA provides funding for behavioral health services, medicines, and medical care.

Children who are eligible for Medical Assistance (MA) must have been diagnosed with a behavioral disorder, emotional disorder, developmental disability, and/or certain medical conditions.

Eligibility is based on the child’s income and assets. Their parents’ income is not considered to determine eligibility.

How to Apply for Medical Assistance
If you need assistance in this process, please call one of the local case management offices and ask to speak to an administrative case manager.

Applications can be obtained in one of several ways:

1. Call the Montgomery County Assistance Office at (610) 270-3500 and ask them to mail a copy of the application.

2. Visit the Montgomery County Assistance Office at:

1931 New Hope Street
Norristown, PA

3. Download and complete the application at:

Be sure to fill out all information on the application. You must provide copies of:
  • The child’s birth certificate
  • The child’s social security card
  • Information about the child’s disability
Please write “PH95” on the application if you are applying based on your child’s disability. The income requirement does not apply in this case.

Once completed, return the finished application to the County Assistance Office. Ask for a receipt. You can also ask for a receipt from the post office if you decide to mail it in. A receipt gives you proof if your application gets lost.

Next, the County Assistance Office will contact you for an interview. This may be done in person or over the phone. Afterward, the office will review your application. You will receive a letter in the mail telling you if your child is eligible and the effective date.

Next Steps
Your child should receive an assessment in order to determine which services may be appropriate. Your case management office can help guide you through the system, or you can contact one of the local Extended Assessment providers:

Central Montgomery MH/MR Center
1201 DeKalb Street, Norristown PA 19401
Phone: (610) 279-9270

Child and Family Focus
11 Davis Road, Valley Forge, PA 19481
Phone: (610) 783-1788
2935 Byberry Rd, Suite 108, Hatboro, PA 19040
Phone: (215) 957-9771

Creative Health
1 Mennonite Church Road, Spring City, PA 19475
Phone: 610-948-6490

Indian Creek Foundation
420 Cowpath Road, Souderton, PA 18964
Phone: (267) 203-1500, ext 110

You could also contact Magellan at (877) 769-9782 to find local provider agencies. A full list of agencies is also available at

Anyone aged 14 years or older can receive treatment without a parent’s permission. The child can set up the appointment directly if he or she wishes.

Other (Non-Mental Health) Services for Children
Early Intervention
These services can be provided to infants and toddlers from birth to age 3. They help children with developmental delays and at-risk children get to their full potential. Anyone can make a referral by calling (610) 277-7176. A coordinator will schedule a first evaluation with the family.

Office of Developmental Disabilities
This office serves children and adults with intellectual disabilities. In order to be eligible, the person must have:
  • A signed psychological evaluation (by a licensed psychologist) showing a full-scale IQ score of 70 or below.
  • A diagnosis of intellectual disability.
  • Proof of significant limitations in at least two areas of their adaptive functioning skills.
  • The onset of the disability must have occurred prior to age 22.

Please contact the intake coordinator at (610) 278-5666 if you have any questions.