Car Seat Checks
The Montgomery County Office of Public Health (OPH) has certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPST) who inspect child safety seats.
Caregivers can have their seats checked in-person or virtually. Caregivers will be educated on the proper way to install a seat in their vehicle, and how to ensure their child is properly restrained in the seat.
Car seat checks are by appointment only at the opportunities below. This service is free of charge and open to all residents of Montgomery County.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
We currently offer free, in-person car seat checks at three firehouses throughout the County.
- Montgomery Hose Fire Company, Norristown - 1st Wednesday of every month
- Fire Department of Montgomery Township, Battalion 1, North Wales - 4th Thursday of every month
- Limerick Fire Department, Royersford - 3rd Tuesday of every month, beginning January 2023
Register here for an appointment.
Please check back in Spring 2023 for community events.
In addition to car seat checks, MCOPH offers free educational presentations on child passenger safety best practices. Topics include:
- Transitioning from rear-facing to forward-facing
- PA Laws
- Basic installation tips
To learn more or request a presentation for your organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pennsylvania's "Law of Love"
- All infants and children under 8 years of age must be secured in an approved child restraint/booster when riding anywhere in the motor vehicle, including the cargo area.
- All children from birth to age 4 must be secured in an approved child passenger restraint system.
***Children younger than 2 years of age must be secured in a rear-facing child passenger restraint system, to be used until the child outgrows the maximum weight and height limits designated by the car seat manufacturer. (Primary Law)
- All children 4 years of age and older, but less than 8 years of age, must be secured in a seat belt system and an appropriately fitting child booster seat. (Primary Law)
- All children 8 years of age and older, but less than 18 years of age must be secured in a properly adjusted and fastened seat belt system. (Primary Law)
- Each driver and front-seat occupant shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat belt system. (Secondary Law)
Interested in advertising our virtual car seat checks to your organization? Use the digital flyers below.
The Montgomery County Office of Public Health is a member of the Safe Kids Southeastern Pennsylvania Coalition led by the Injury Prevention Program at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).
For additional resources, please visit CHOP’s Car Seat Safety for Kids.