What Is the Project?
Lafayette Street Extension Project Improvements
The Lafayette Street Extension Project will significantly improve access to Norristown and its Main Street and riverfront as well as Plymouth Township's Ridge Pike and Conshohocken Road corridors, providing a transportation framework that will spur economic development. It will:
- Improve local road connections between Norristown and Plymouth Township.
- Reconstruct and widen existing Lafayette Street in Norristown and extend it to Diamond Avenue.
What Are the Phases?
The county is currently managing three construction phases:
- Section MGP - Extend Lafayette Street beyond Ford Street to Conshohocken Road and Diamond Avenue
- Section MGL - Widen and improve local roads, such as Ridge Pike, Diamond Avenue, and Fairfield Road
- Section MGN - Reconstruct and widen existing Lafayette Street
There are two future phases planned: a full interchange with the Pennsylvania Turnpike and a half interchange with US 202 South at the Dannehower Bridge.
What Are the Benefits of the Project?
The proposed Lafayette Street Extension Project will provide the following benefits for the Municipality of Norristown, Plymouth Township, and the surrounding area.
- Economic Revitalization
- Traffic Congestion Relief Along Main Street, Ridge Pike, and Conshohocken Road
- Improved Access to Government Facilities